10 Years of Marriage…We Never Saw it Coming

Mr. H and I swore we would never get married to anyone.

We didn’t buy into everlasting love or soul mates or whatever you want to call it. We thought all of that was complete and total bullshit.

At the time I had a ton of piercings, in every imaginable part of my ears. I remember enjoying the pain each time I went in to get a new hole. I guess I wanted to show that pain on my body.

piercings

When Mr. H and I first met, we were both with other people. Mere pups at the ages of 21 and 22, I was trying to win back an ex that I had dumped and he was living with someone he didn’t love.

We certainly weren’t looking for anybody.

At the time we had our hands full with people we thought we should be with. The rest of our energy was spent doing what most kids do around that age. Working shit jobs and partying.

That night my ex-boyfriend’s gay brother, Juan, invited me to come over. A big group was going out—including my ex. I thought this was my chance to get him back.

I strutted into Juan’s apartment, dressed to kill. I wore a hot pink cheerleader skirt with a studded belt, black stilettos, and a black tank that said “rock n’ roll” right across the ta-tas.

Before I could find my ex, I found someone else. Mr. H sitting on the couch, devastatingly handsome and staring at me like he was meant to look at me all along.

Because of his incredible looks and style, and the fact that we were around our gay friends, I assumed that he was gay. I soon discovered that Mr. H was undeniably straight, and that he was also in an unhappy relationship with someone he didn’t belong with.

Despite our significant others being present that night, we had long conversations in various sections of the gay club. On the balcony, standing side by side  in the hot Texas summer night. Sitting on the pool table, with dance music blasting so loud that we had to press our mouths to each other’s ears.

I’m really not the kind of girl to purposely steal someone’s man away. And I didn’t that night.

But months later, I learned that the hot pink cheerleader skirt had left its mark. After I confided to Juan that Mr. H was hot, he shared this juicy info, and we were set up on our first date.

And, that’s when Mr. H played the ultimate card. He could dance.

From there, it was all over. Those self-destructive ideas we spouted off that love was unattainable, that we didn’t need/want happiness, that we would never find our match.

After we got together, I took every single earring out of my ears. I didn’t need to be reminded of pain anymore. I was making room for something else.

britt and hugh

There is no grand engagement story to tell. We mutually agreed to get hitched and my engagement ring was a piece of hemp string.

Though we tried to elope, family and friends wanted to be a part of the celebration. So, we chose Vegas.

Ask any of our friends and family that came, and they will tell you that our wedding was unforgettable. Because it was a complete disaster.

Have you guys seen the movie, Four Weddings and a Funeral? It was like that, but the Vegas edition. (Don’t worry, nobody died.)

We got married at the Greek Isles Hotel, which was formerly the Debbie Reynolds Hotel. I know this, because I had stayed there for a dance competition back in high school.

Oh yeah, neither of us are Greek. But the place was cheap and it had a decent looking gazebo.

Sadly, the hotel where we got married—like most of old Vegas—is no more.

The Greek Isles Hotel became the Clarion Hotel after that, until they recently imploded it to make room for some new monstrosity with no character. Funny thing was, the elevator shaft remained intact after the explosion. (Here’s a video.)

the venetian

On our wedding day, it was over a hundred Vegas desert degrees and my family came into my dressing room right before the ceremony, begging me to move it inside. I made my sister check it out for me to make sure it wasn’t too churchy.

When she returned, she said: “It’s not churchy, but it’s…”

“What? What is it?”

“It’s very Greek. There are scenic paintings and columns.”

I laughed and we went for it.

Our minister was from New Jersey and he was three sheets to the wind.

He screwed up our names multiple times, so that we even questioned if we were legally married. The guests sang our names in unison to help him get through the godawful ceremony.

Most of it was difficult to understand, because he was slurring. And, there was a strange, irrelevant story about his schoolteacher daughter at the end that we still do not understand to this day.

On our way out to the crappy limo, an Elvis impersonator pointed at us from his neon stage while he sang. We were dying with laughter.

It was perfect. It was so us.

I always warn people about big weddings. I see couples get so stressed out, worrying about silly flower arrangements and going into debt.

None of that matters. The wedding should be a celebration of love, and that can be done anywhere for next to nothing.

And hey, here we are ten years later.

playboy bunny

We got rid of our wedding rings on our fifth anniversary.

We were camping by a lake in Wisconsin, sitting around a fire, drinking beer. Mr. H and I began discussing our wedding rings, which were as chintzy as they come.

Did that piece of jewelry symbolize our love somehow? We decided it didn’t and chucked our wedding rings into the bushes.

I can’t begin to tell you about the experiences we’ve shared, the crazy things we’ve been through and the awesome times we’ve had.

I do know that our love fuels my fiction. Every romance, every heartache, every fear, every wish comes from our story. It’s the only way I can express so many years of beautiful moments.

Those of you who have read my books may have noticed a recurring theme…how love can save us.

I suppose the core meaning of love is different for everyone, but I believe that love is the one thing in the world that has this kind of power.

Mr. H and I knew this from the start.

So, we decided to take a chance and save each other.

64 thoughts on “10 Years of Marriage…We Never Saw it Coming

You both look as awesome today as you did 10 years ago!

Love should be that easy, that logical, that very one which doesn’t need any word to be explained. It should be felt, from the bottom of our hearts and we should answer it with all our strength.
    A grand wedding won’t change or magnify that Love. A grand wedding ring with plenty of diamonds won’t make it last longer.
    It’s what you do every day that makes it grand and last. You make it perfect for each other and that’s the most beautiful thing to share, together and towards those around you, who can only be happy watching you!

Cheers to more Love!

Fun to hear you and your hub’s story! And it’s a great one. I think weddings that are not the norm are the ones best remembered. (Of course, maybe I’m just saying that because the hubs and I were broke, so we had a small one…) Happy Anniversary!

Hey, nothing wrong with being broke and in love. That glittery facade of the perfect wedding causes so much unnecessary strain on a young relationship. I’m all about the crappy ceremony with lots of laughs.

We all need to hear your love story some time, doll! 😉

Oh, so glad you guys liked it. I’ve been sitting on it for the big anniversary celebration.

The drunk minister was almost unreal. We were watching the DVD the other night, just rolling on the floor we were laughing so hard.

Yes, more laughter at weddings would be nice. So many of them are oddly serious.

What a great love story!! Haha, eclectically funny and I think I wouldn’t expect anything else from you. Congratulations to you both and to many more savvy years!

4. lillianccc says:

I’m always a sucker for romances and the more unconventional, the more they draw me in. It never ceases to amaze me how people come together and I hope that it’ll happen to me in the near future too. 😉 Congrats on hitting this milestone, so happy you found who you were supposed to be with.

Isn’t it awesome? I love hearing “how we first met” stories. I make people share them with me all the time.

Love’s always right there, hon. Just takes time to find.

Oh, I forgot to mention that my husband was very impressed when I wore a hot pink and black Skin Diver minidress (aka neoprene) the first time he saw me at a party hosted by a mutual friend. Must be something about hot pink that drives men wild. 😀

Ooh, I love this, Britt. I love love, and I love hearing about how other people love each other. I hope you still have that hot pink cheerleader outfit. Congrats on 10 years!

Kate, you’re so cute! So much love…I love it!

Sadly, I do not still have the skirt (or even a photo). Had no idea we were going to come this far. Would have been a great souvenir. 😉

Awww, this was the sweetest. You always meet the “one” in the last place you’d expect! Also I’m like you when it comes to weddings; I prefer something extremely low-key, but my family adores the hoopla, haha.

Congrats on hitting this milestone, and here’s to many, many more years to come. 😀

8. Naomi Baltuck says:

Congratulations on ten years of true love! I agree with you about weddings–we had a potluck, a square dance, and a purple cake topped with lavender and purple marzipan dance shoes and little Arthur Murray dance footprints all over it. After our potluck I kicked off my purple pumps, donned my tap shoes, and my clogging group opened up the dancing with a quick performance. A wedding, like a marriage, should be as fun and stress free as possible. Here’s to many more happy years and inspired books, Britt!

Beautifully written Britt and congratulations to you guys. Some marriages may last ten years or longer but not all of them are as strong as ever at that point – more an endurance test or sticking together because it’s the least worst option. You have something rare and that’s great.

Thanks so much, Roy! Considering the odds, we feel very lucky to have found each other.

It’s not a walk in the park, as no relationship is. But we know each other, and at this point, we really know ourselves too. I think that’s one of many keys necessary to making a marriage work.

10. jmmcdowell says:

Congratulations on everything about your relationship! Next week is number 24 for me and my husband, and I wouldn’t trade those years for anything, either. 🙂 May every year be memorable and adventurous for you both!

Soulmates. This is such a wonderful post. I smiled all the way through. You two are fortunate to have found each other.

I chuckled at your Vegas wedding story. I got married in Vegas, too, the first time. Our minister was blind and I could not stop thinking: how would he even know if we just left? That might have been an omen. 🙂

Congratulations on 10 years!

Thanks, love! We feel very lucky indeed!

I didn’t know that! That is too funny. Those Vegas weddings are always memorable. Except for some, who are too drunk to remember them. 😉