watching the water

Should The Life Enthusiast Chronicles Live On?

What the hell happened to The Life Enthusiast Chronicles, Britt?

Some of you have been following this blog for years, so you might be wondering where the monthly guest series ran off to. Others of you are new here, and you’re probably thinking…the whatty-what?

For those in the whatty-what category, The Life Enthusiast Chronicles is an inspirational project I started a couple of years ago, where I invited guest writers here to answer one question: What makes you enthusiastic about life?

looking at water

Each person was hand-selected for their uniquely beautiful spirit, how they each had a knack for celebrating and appreciating life in their own ways. Quite commonly, two things would happen with each Life Enthusiast.

1. They would ask: Who me?
  2. They would say: This is one of the most difficult things I’ve had to write.

Because it’s a tough question. We go, go, go every day and when someone asks you about life, it can be pretty jarring. Watching the chronicles unfold over time was not only interesting, it was touching—touching in a real way, without the froufrou shit.

Every Life Enthusiast brought something so different. But what we also learned was that no matter who they were or where they came from, we share the same human qualities and we share the same sky.

We’re not all that different. We’re all just…living.

The second year of the series culminated with this lovely video back in November. Each Life Enthusiast was kind and brave enough to contribute their voices to the video. And if you haven’t seen it, these few minutes are truly worthy of your time.

After that video released, I thought: Now what? Do we keep going, or not?

I’m not a big television show person, but there are a few that I have really connected with—Mad Men, of course, is one of them. Some of the shows go on for too long and they lose their stuff.

There’s a sweet spot when you are running a dedicated blog series too. Because you guys are my audience, the lovely people taking the time to read these blog posts.

So, I’m going to let you decide. And like other polls I’ve run on this blog, I will listen to your feedback.

Back in 2013 I asked you all to help me name two of my book characters. Fran and Evie were the winners, and Nola Fran Evie was born.

san francisco hair

Last spring I asked you to vote for my worst San Francisco hair. And, The Hair Basket was a clear favorite.

Here’s your chance to share your thoughts on The Life Enthusiast Chronicles. Voting ends on Fri. 2/26 and I’ll announce the results.

Thanks, wonderful readers!

WWII thriller

37 thoughts on “Should The Life Enthusiast Chronicles Live On?

I’ve always enjoyed this series. The people you’ve showcased have made me look at things in a new way, and there’s always a wonderful sense of gratitude about them. So I guess you know how I voted. 😉

2. Deb says:

I went with the theme idea, but I think you have to ask yourself (more than any of us) what YOU want this series to be, if anything, and go with that. We’re all gonna stick around no matter what so if it feels right to change it up, or drop it then do so. Follow your inner voice… 🙂

I’m leaning toward the theme idea, and it looks like others are as well! I’m in the marketing biz and we always talk about creating content for our audience. I think that’s a good thing, to consider the readers—especially now that I’ve been blogging for so many years. There comes a time when you’ve written so many blogs, and it’s fun to throw out a poll and see what people are thinking for inspiration.

Oops! There was a poll at the end of the post, Roy. Maybe it wasn’t showing for you? But I appreciate your answer.

I wanted to let the series rest for a while to think about what was best. I love it and I feel that it went really well, but I don’t want to keep doing the same thing for too long. Gotta keep it fresh! This is just a way to get some feedback for inspiration. You know I’m a stubborn woman…in the end I will go with my heart. 😉

3. Casey Sheridan says:

I’m with Deb up there.

I’m fairly new to your blog and have only been around for the last couple of Life Enthusiast posts.

As much as I enjoyed them, it’s really your choice and what you want the series to be.

Like Deb says, we’ll stick around no matter what.

Thanks, honey! I do love to hear feedback from my followers from time to time. You know me…I usually run free around here. I make A LOT of decisions at work every day. Sometimes it’s nice to learn what others think to help guide things along.

Plus, I’m always up for a challenge! If the votes all go toward switching things up, it’s kind of like a writing dare. 😉

Your post gives a lovely summary of the Life Enthusiast Chronicles. I appear to be one of the few who would like something new, probably because you are so full of life and creativity I want to see what you come up with next.

Having been one of your guest for the post I can tell you the two points you made were what I said. I also want to add that the post opened me up and let much good pour into me and I still think about that post and the other post of some very fine people you chose. It’s one of my favorites! You are a wonderful, carrying person who has touched many lives through your thoughtfulness.

I love the series as is, but I think everything you do is great so would love anything new too, haha! Maybe you can do it less regularly if it gives you too much work in terms of correspondence etc? I’m woefully behind in blogging, reading blogs, tweeting as my creative energy is going elsewhere but that’s not a bad thing either. We are evolving, my fellow blogger, that’s always good!

Thanks, sweet thang! If anything, having guest writers is actually less work for me because I don’t have to come up with a concept then write about it. Naturally trying to find the right guy or gal to invite takes some thought (and time)…I do my best to find the right voices out there.

I was thinking how I miss your blog, but I completely understand how difficult it can be to keep up with everything! I’ve been trying to use my mornings before work differently—even getting up earlier—to have more time for blogging (both writing and reading). Been a couple of weeks now with this schedule and it’s helping. I don’t want to spend my evenings during the week looking at a computer screen after doing it all day. And my weekends are reserved for the novel!

Speak of the devil, how’s your book coming along?

• Letizia says:

I like the idea of getting up early to dedicate to the blog. When my puppy is older, I will do that (right now, I am up early but focused on her). The book was on hold this autumn but back on the table now, thanks for asking! I have a rough draft (very rough) which is fun. So much of writing is about scheduling, isn’t it??

Puppy!!!

Exciting that you have a rough draft, doll! That’s always the hardest part for me. I don’t mind the editing part, because I have something to work with.

Of course, with this one, the second draft has been dragging on WAY too long. Shifting things around in my schedule is helping me focus on the draft on weekends.

• Jilanne Hoffmann says:

Letizia, dahlink! Get thy BIC (butt in chair) and let that little puppy play with your slippers. Have you read the picture book “Shoe Dog”? I think it would be fun for you to read to your pup. It’s reviewed on my blog. Better yet, don’t read the book and just get to writing!

Where do I vote for the Life Enthusiast Chronicles to go on?!? I can’t see the survey but I totally want it to continue because it feels sooooo good to read them! If and only you still find joy in digging out new awesome people around you and writing a bit about them.
    Cheers to life and cheers to you for this fabulous idea!

Hey, hon. There is supposed to be a poll at the end of the post, but a couple of others in the UK did not see it either. Sounds like this is an American poll only??? So weird! A comment vote is absolutely fine. 🙂

Only a couple of days left for voting and it sounds like the Chronicles will stay. People seem to like the theme idea, which is a good way to change up the series a bit.

• Les Petits Pas de Juls says:

So weird! I hate being discriminated against just because I live across the ocean 😉 but I knew you’d take comment votes into account anyway!
        Can’t wait for the remodeled series to come up!
        Hugs from Rome!

I love your blog anyway you bring it, so I’m a party pooper. I want you to choose and go with what feels good to you. I’m a fan of series on blogs because you can do a lot of things with them, creatively speaking. But I know it’s difficult when you’re dependent on other people and their contributions. Whatever you decide, I’m still reading. 🙂

Thanks, baby cakes!

I’ve been very fortunate with the Life Enthusiasts I have worked with. They have all been super dependable, and most have shipped their writing to me ahead of schedule. I wish I could say the same for my job, where I have to manage other writers and non-writers constantly for content. Funny, that it’s like pulling teeth over there…and they’re getting paid to do it.

Proves that passion trumps money, right?