Across the Sound

There’s something so awesomely crazy about driving, transporting your car on water, then driving away again. I mean, how often do you get to do that?

Okay, some get to do it often. The people of Seattle sure do.

For the rest of us, it’s kind of a miraculous feeling.

It was a few minutes before 8am last Saturday when me, Mr. H, and our car, Uschi, loaded onto the Edmonds-Kingston ferry in Washington.

We stepped out of the car to stretch our legs and watched the serene world go by through the big windows inside.

I love the inside of ferries, don’t you? They’re always so retro and battered, a great backdrop for some impromptu modeling shots.

inside edmonds-kingston ferry

edmonds-kingston ferry galley

I had been on a ferry once, maybe twice before, when I was a pup back in Southern California. But nothing could prepare me for taking a ferry across the Puget Sound on a January morning.

We scurried onto the freezing deck like a couple of kids.

It reminded me of running into the living room on Christmas morning, sneaking around at the crack of dawn so I could check out the pretty presents under the tree before Dad woke up.

britt on the ferry

edmonds washington

Every possible shade of blue, purple, and grey surrounded me. Like I had opened a box of crayons with only a few options.

But I wasn’t disappointed. It was just too beautiful.

puget sound in the morning

olympic mountains puget sound

Where does the water end? Where does the sky begin? I wanted to cry—my eyes barely knew how to handle visions like this…

puget sound

Others on the boat were just as hypnotized as we were. Bundled up couples strolled the deck, physically attached to each other in some way, their bodies begging for warmth.

couple walking on edmonds-kingston ferry

freezing on the edmonds-kingston ferry

A man who has probably taken this route every single day for years couldn’t resist the temptation to step outside in the biting cold.

To marvel at all of it—the majesty, the simplicity.

man on ferry

Even with all of this power, somehow the Sound was soundless. Here was a welcoming haven from the boisterous world we knew all too well.

The water danced, only because it wanted to. The wind whispered poetry. The birds played it cool.

It was a foreign land, an exquisite secret. Nobody gets to stay here…you can only pass through.

We felt honored to be here, to breathe in this unexpected bliss as we glided across the Sound.

32 thoughts on “Across the Sound

I love the way your clothing coordinates with the colour tones of the seascape. I haven’t travelled very much on ferries, and the times that I did travel that way, the voyage was often unpleasantly rough. 😦

Haha, yes! I noticed that too. Those are colors I often wear, so I fit right in up here.

That’s too bad. I get seasick, so a rough voyage on a boat is never fun for me. But I love to be on the water—a giant boat on calm water is one of the few ways I can enjoy it without an arsenal of ginger and deep breathing exercises.

I love anything on the water– even in the freezing cold. My favorite ferry ride was to Ko Samui– an island off the coast of Thailand. It’s so nice to arrive somewhere and be able to drive away and explore.

Yo do bundle well, Britt.

Looks like you had that ferry to yourself!

We didn’t take the ferry this past November when we were in Seattle. In fact, it’s been a while since we’ve done so. Thanks for reminding me how spectacular it can be. 🙂

It seems that way, but there were quite a few cars on there. It’s a big ass ferry! Though it was early on a Saturday morning, so it was quieter.

Next time you’re out, you should hop on one. I know there are a few, but the Edmonds-Kingston one was spectacular. 🙂

4. lillianccc says:

“Like I had opened a box of crayons with only a few options.” –> Um, this analogy is kind of amazing. Just thought you should know.

When I was applying for college MANY years ago, I remember receiving a brochure from the University of Puget Sound. I looked it up online and the photos I saw of the Sound made me seriously consider applying (though the parents were less enthusiastic about it). I ultimately didn’t and haven’t thought about it in years but this post brought those memories right back. Thanks for sharing your gorgeous photos!

Haha, thanks! Not sure where it came from, but who doesn’t love crayons?

I don’t know if I could concentrate on school out there. I’d be in a constant daze, staring off into the distance. Probably a wise decision to have skipped it. 🙂

🙂 Only you would think a battered, outdated ferry interior is a place to pose for pictures.

I’ve taken that ferry on sunny days and it’s just as magical. But I never saw blues like that. Stunning!

You’re so right, the interior of ferries are often so retro and cool looking. I love the modeling shots of the two of you: you both know how to pose! 🙂 This summer, my beau and I took the ferry to go to a 1920s picnic-dance, the whole ferry was full of people dressed in 20s outfits – so fun!

Yes, I love stuff like that! (Surprise, surprise.) After we got off the ferry we had brunch at an old school diner too. It was a retro kind of day!

DUDE! A 1920s picnic-dance and a ferry? That would be like heaven for me. You guys are so cool. I’d love to see what you wore sometime if you have any pix. 🙂

Marvelous pictures!! and I bet it doesn’t even come close with how you really experienced it, does it? It’s sometimes hard to capture the nature of our experience..
    Would you have taken that pose if the benches were packed? 😀

Thanks, honey. But no, my little iPhone could only do so much. My eyes were confused by it all, because it was too awesome.

LOL! I would not have posed so boldly had those benches been filled with people.

Great photos – I can feel the sense of calm…I love ferries. We have a small ferry here that goes from one side of the river to the other taking about 5 minutes, so I grew up using it relatively regularly. But we’re also lucky to have a port just down the road where you can get a ferry to Amsterdam – and previously to Norway. We’d often take the ferry, not really for the destination, but for the journey!

Britt what a beautiful day you experienced. I have had a similar one where my husband and I put our car on a ferry and sat peacefully watching the world pass by. I was also lucky enough for some time to work in Sydney and catch a ferry into the city each day for work. Sydney harbour is mesmerising any time of year. Thanks for sharing your trip. The photos are beautiful.

10. jmmcdowell says:

I’ve been on a few ferries and love going out on deck to take in the scenery. It’s always so different from everything I normally see. 🙂 Too cold, though, and I might scurry back into a heated room!

Isn’t it amazing?! Yes, and it can be quite cold. We took the Staten Island ferry in March one year right after an unexpected blizzard hit. We jumped outside for a couple of city pix, then shot right back inside. 🙂

My brother and his family live on Martha’s Vineyard. Only way to get there (when my private plane is taking a break, of course) is to hop on a ferry at various ports along Cape Cod. My bro always brings a car with him when he comes to the mainland, for obvious reasons, and he talks about you have to make a reservation for the car, but you don’t have to go to such lengths for people. And pricey, good grief!

I love being on the ferry, too, but not on the windy side. And the beers aren’t bad to sip during a trip either. 🙂

Next time you have your private plane you should come pick me up and we’ll go see some sights. Think of the excellent blog post that will be!

Yes, transporting a car is pricey. I’ve never had a beer on a ferry before! I know what I’m doing next time. 🙂

Thanks, hon! I was just thinking about the Sound. It’s been almost two years since I’ve seen it. Feel like January is such a magical time to make that trek, especially that early in the morning. 😉