Writing. It’s glamorous.

go to hell

Sometimes writers think of the perfect dialogue for that intense moment. Sometimes we scribble it down quickly and leave it lying around. Sometimes our spouse picks up the post-it and wonders where it all went wrong.

Just a little writing funny to share with you guys. I’ve been pretty aloof lately, a crazed woman with questionable hair holed up in the editing cave.

Mr. H is a trooper, watching me cautiously from afar.

Each day I’m drowning in stacks of paper and piles of cats, rubbing red pen off my hands, laughing at ridiculous typos, talking to myself…WAY too much, and trying to fight off bursting into tears for no reason at all.

Oh yeah…what the heck is with the English language?

I stared at the word “first” for a good fifteen minutes one day last week. I even checked merriam-webster.com. I’m still suspicious, but I guess I’ll go with it.

first in dictionary

Our apartment is dirty, and littered with maniacal post-its. But, I’m almost ready to hand off this book of mine to another set of eyes.

Don’t worry. We will survive, as will the cats.

Writing. It’s glamorous.

Any psycho writer stories you’d like to share below? Go for it! I could use the moral support right now.

40 thoughts on “Writing. It’s glamorous.

1. cravesadventure says:

When the cats take up a marker and start writing post-its you know you have problems – ha! I look at certain words when writing and for some reason I know it is spelled correctly, but cannot wrap my mind around it for the life of me. I am a brain dumper when it comes to writing and at times it is one hot mess. Here’s to Singing You Will Survive and Thinking About that poster with the Cat in the Tree Hanging In There:)

Nothing too psycho yet on my part, but I did clean out my desk today and found dozens of little scraps of paper with presumably important notes, so important that I forgot they were there. I got rid of them all save one. Hope that doesn’t come back to haunt me.

Good luck with your final phase. I know how frenzied it can be!

Writing used to be easy, then I started learning how to do it properly and it’s getting difficult. Oh for those simpler times. LOL at cravesadventure ^^ with the cats chipping in with criticism πŸ™‚

4. 4amWriter says:

Post-it’s are a writer’s salvation. What would a carpenter do without a back stock of wood that he might be able to use in another project? Or, a fisherman without extra bait? Can’t get mad at a writer for being a writer.

I remember staring at the word “door’ for the longest time. Surely I was spelling it wrong, surely that was the wrong word for that object.

I had a crazy-wild hair-wild look in eyes phase when writing my dissertation. Hang in there Britt. It’s the phase right before the calm clarity phase in my experience. (In the meantime, you can always wear your ski hat inside to cover up some of the crazy, haha!)

Hell yeah…what kind of word is “door”?! LOL!

Crazy hair, crazy eyes. Yes, I’m familiar. Thanks for the encouragement, love. Thank goodness it’s frigid so I can keep that pom-pom hat on my head!

Hahah! Whenever I stare at a word – any word – it starts to look wrong. There must be some kind of magic in that. It sounds like the cats should be doing more editing work. Crazy goes well with writing so if you’re feeling crazed then you must be doing it right.

7. diannegray says:

I also have that metal block with words, Britt and think they just don’t look right! I don’t know why, unless my mind just shuts down and says ‘enough!’ I totally understand the insanity :;)

8. francisguenette says:

I spent three consecutive days (my husband was out of town, working) logging 12 to 14 hours a day, in my pj’s, eating at the computer – formatting, editing, and formatting yet again. I felt like a freaking zombie and the house was a disaster zone – cold (I kept letting the fire go out), dishes everywhere. All I can say is that I was glad when it was over.

Wow! Sounds like an editing apocalypse! Been there, my friend. When I finished my first book, I had a similar week when my husband was out of town on biz. I didn’t want him to witness the unattractive psycho losing it in the dark corner.

9. Alarna Rose Gray says:

Realising you’ve ventured outside with your shirt on inside-out is a good one. Something I may or may not have done recently πŸ˜‰ I’ve been in a video editing cave rather than a writing one, but I find they have the same effect. Or is that affect… ? Grrr πŸ™‚

Ooh, that is a good one! Been there, too. LOL!

I’m a novice at video editing, but the times I’ve edited the few I’ve done for this blog, I can tell you…it is a VERY similar experience. : )

10. gabrielablandy says:

Oh, Britt – it’s lovely to be dipping into your world again. And you say that you have been aloof – I wonder what that makes me…But it’s been a very good break. Editing woes, huh? Gosh, don’t I know about those. I hope you’ve managed to reconfigure your relationship with words. Peace and love!

Blandy love! Where’d you come from, stranger?! So nice to see you again.

Aloof meaning not participating in the social media/blogging as much as usual. But, not on the hiatus scale like last year…even though it was tempting to finish this WIP up! : )

Glad you had an awesome break. Editing woes in the realm of “I can’t look at this anymore. I love it, but no more!” I actually just finished my fourth draft and am handing it off to another set of eyes. So, the end is near. Yay!

I think you have to look and feel a little crazed to be a writer. After all, you’re spilling your mind and heart onto a piece of paper. No wonder the words that suddenly appear on the page seem suspicious.

Yes, I’m learning that crazed look and feel is part of the package at this point. During my first book, I thought I was just in over my head. Nope, we just like to get a little batty. : )